Skip to main content

Avoidable mistakes

Day 24 - Kanchanaburi

I awake in a box in Bangkok. Even though we are dipping out of high season in Thailand the accomodation in the city is still in high demand and I am leaving it too late to have my pick of the better worse places. With only one night to stay on my way through the capital I reasoned a dorm could be tolerated for the economics. Inevitably it was a top bunk. After only minutes of twisting and squirming caught in an endless spin of arranging possessions and cursing the things I'd forgotten to bring up from my bag down below one night felt one too many. I'm regularly reminded that dorms are the way to meet people but dear god they chafe me. Waiting on a taxi outside the next morning I watch a man pass the knocking shop next door. The girls cagole and pout and he smiles. His t-shirt reads 'I'll think about it'. I bet he will. I'm dropped off at Thonburi train station and its lines to the west. The Thai railway surprises me with its extent, its functionality and its price. My train to Kanchanaburi is a basic 3rd class but clean and with fans and for three hours transit a mere £2.50. As I take my seat a tourist loads his bicycle onto the train with considerable incompetence. He has a kind of wild-eyed stress in everything he says and does. Shortly before we leave a conductor comes through and asks if he has a ticket for the bike. The tourist seems unable to understand what is being asked and minutes pass as he comes to a slow comprehension, eyes bulging at the effort. He jumps off the train and races to the ticket office, getting back seconds before departure. The sort of person who seems unable but to make life difficult for themselves. The journey is pleasant, the carriage is quiet and the breeze coming through the window cools me. I'd travel everywhere like this given the chance. My hotel is comprised of several houseboats on the River Kwai. The private verandah affords a relaxing view of it's slow progress towards the sea. It's a way out of town though but a nearer waterfront area offers some promise, at least on the map. There's been some money spent it seems with a wide pedestrianised promenade following the course of the river and children's play areas at regular intervals. They are also constructing a 'skywalk' in the form of a walkway 20 metres up in the air. It isn't immediately apparent what it will give a better view of but I withhold judgement. The bar I find is completely empty but technically open. A warm beer is brought and I ask the waiter for the WiFi code. He doesn't know it and seems to have no solution to that particular problem. Ah well I shall take some notes for writing up later rather than doing whatever thing I needed the internet for. A small insect lands on my phone, enamoured by its light. Ludicrously it makes me feel less alone so I don't shoo it off. He is on the keyboard though so I have to type carefully to avoid murdering my new friend whose name is Thaksin. He slowly wanders from 'm', before pausing on 'a' and then over to 'd'. Is he trying to tell me something? Finishing my beer I send Thaksin on his way with a breath. Sorry friend but I feel the urgent need to leave a bar where I'm naming insects with a lifespan of mere days.
The main drag in Kanchanaburi is a typical tourist affair. Similar looking bars with long counters and stools facing out onto the street. Fans whiring back and forth washing cool air over retirees and teenagers. I stop at a street food place for some noodle soup. A cat languorously wanders over to my table and gives me a look of expectation. I throw it a scrap of meat which it sniffs and then meows at me reproachfully. This is why I prefer dogs. Over a beer in one of the identikit bars I take in the identikit experience. The bar opposite has a bizarre glass-walled room containing a bicycle decked out in fairy lights, a couple of bikini-wearing mannequins, a kitschy car sculpture and what appears to be a massive dildo. They also have karaoke and a group of young people belt out songs with gusto. It jars with the Ronan Keating coming from behind me but I don't actually mind the singing. It's like looking in on a previous life. A night at The George maybe. 'Mr. Brightside' makes me sad though as I think about a less disfigured point of my life. It's rose-tinted for sure but there was a peace of mind. I have been seeking this peace of mind in the trivialities of life, as if a hundred little decisions put me at ease and in control. But it leaves me in the unhappy straits, chin-deep and sinking, caught between those people who know they must have control and get it and those that get that they have no control. I must swim for a shore but I trust everything to the current. The time before had a simplicity of desire. I couldn't conceive of loneliness then the way I can now. I'm only lonely when I'm around people, I read that once. And it feels in this moment like there's some truth in it. When I see people like those in the karaoke bar having fun an emotional void opens in front of me. I tip-toe around the edge seeing how long I can keep my balance before I fall in. I try to put planks over the hole but nights like this kick them in.

Those wild young kittens represented the joy of life; he was the outsider, the lonely alien, watching something in which he could not join, a happiness in which he had no part or lot and in his unutterable loneliness he bowed his head on his arms, that he might not see this joyous scrambling frolic on yonder hillside."
--Saki, The Unbearable Bassington

Comments

Popular posts

The Duke

Pub review They say: "We came for a skittle on a Saturday night and they were very welcoming but you know how you hear about lizards ruling the world, the barstaff had a very lizardy look. Make your own mind up!" --Craig Savage 4/5 I say: 'The place where everybody knows your name' The claim is painted onto the wall and doesn't seem so outlandish on this chilly Tuesday night as there is no-one in the pub to know my name or not. Dry January? I can't imagine that's a thing around these parts. You don't keep over 30 pubs in business with virtuous gestures like that. It might be a Tuesday thing. Per usual I try to find a quiet corner with my beer, surely an easy task in an empty pub? Not so. Speakers hang from every nook and carpet the space in a thick fog of sound. It isn't even the usual autotuned pop/R&B dirge being vomited into my ears. That stuff I can confine to a background hum. Instead it's the pre-match commentary for the Brighto

Sisyphean Airlines

Day 56 - Panama City We nearly didn't make it into this slip of a country. Cruel fortune had us standing in the queue for the only Panamanian border officer who had read and decided to adhere to the rules. "Return ticket?" bugger.  His steely, uncompassionate gaze was unmoved by our desperate explanations of our travel 'plans'. Bribery also failed to move him to endorse our entry so our bus driver, with infinite generosity, offered to relieve us of another $36 to write up a return ticket to San José that we would never use. This finally satisfied the entry requirements and the stamp thumped down. The country is divided by a synonymous strip of water down which floats a not insignificant quantity of the world's goods. Though our initial plan was to dive the canal, renovations kiboshed that idea and we had to settle for the traditional topside view.  On initial viewing the city itself seems built on the wealth its transoceanic connection brings.  Buildings soa

Angkor Whaaaaat?

Day 5 - Siem Reap With the water festival finished we has one more place to visit in Cambodia. Angkor Wat is an indisputable wonder of the world and the largest religious monument ever constructed. It sits within a temple complex covering 400km², the scale of which is impossible to adequately describe. Its towers seem to rise organically from the ground, the stone flowering from the earth into wonderfully symmetric form. Only modern capitalism and totalitarian hubris seem to inspire similar architectural endeavour as the gods did in the past. I don't necessarily agree with any of those ideologies and their human cost but religion's diminished power permits me a less coloured appreciation of its monuments. In the stone of Angkor Wat you see reflected the same desire for, and defiant belief in, permanence that runs through our species. I see it in the chiselled signage above the entrance to long dead banks and businesses in the City of London. The owners thought the gilded lobb