Skip to main content

The Old Market

Pub review

They say:
"Excellent selection of dead-eyed, red-faced booze gollums. If you like anecdotes about GBH and Cardi B, you're quids in." --Adam 'RedOcelot' Berthiaume
1/5

I say:
The streets are a shiny shade of blue, of green, red or whatever is the predominant colour of the lit signs of the takeaways I pass in the rain. Alas my destination is dim, the only upmarket bar in town is google-maps-open but real world closed. Perhaps they've given up on this damp Wednesday night. So I walk, drawn back to the cosy warmth of the hotel but soldiering onwards to the task of these reviews. I don't quite believe myself when I tell people, as I have done lately, that Bridgwater has over 30 pubs and bars within 15 minutes walk of the centre as defined by the church (and my hotel). And yet here they are. 1, 2, 3 within a short stroll of my sad and deserted original choice. 6 within 100 meters or 5 within three quarters of a furlong as the government now requires me to say. They are uniformly empty, bright, and unappealing from the outside. But I must choose lest I find myself a year from now still working at the grim coalface (ironic pun) of a distressed project, recently single and wearily eyeing the barmaid whom I reason must be old enough cause she works in a bar. And all this just to complete my tour of Bridgwater's pubs.
The Old Market is quiet but not so much that I am a curiousity. there's enough people here to make it feel drank in. Why drink here though and not, what I take to be, the fairly identical pubs I previously mentioned? You get comfortable with a place I suppose and maybe it's just closer on a rainy midweek night, it's teeming down outside now and any pub feels welcoming in a storm. Why did I drink at the Shakepeare so, so many nights of my life? Location, location, relaxed-attitude-to-inebriation. The prices in here also bring back memories of those days. A large glass of red wine sets me back £3.25. It was twice the price in the hotel with dinner. Twice as good, yes but this feels like a reasonable and rational cost-to-value relationship. I take up a large corner table equidistant to the two main groups of people in the lounge. Half an hour passes as I write this and people begin to bustle in from the street. The music starts to pump though the reverberations are barely absorbed by the soft furnishings and softer bodies. Yet more people join us and I start to feel a little self-conscious about occupying an 8-seater table. Maybe they'll just assume I've been cruelly stood up by 7 of my so-called friends after doubting the benefits of brexit or joining Extinction Rebellion or something like that. Maybe it was just the dark mustard jumper I'm wearing. I don't occupy a view of the TVs showing the football at least, that's circumstances in which I'd have to watch it or move. So profundity eludes me as I have a second glass of wine, a mere £2.50 for this Jack Rabbit. This definately takes me back to warm nights stood outside the Shakespeare, and to cold nights stood outside the Shakespeare. Ninety nine pence wine, it seemed to rhyme back then. Or was it one pound nine? That seems more likely. The wine was for the birds back then though, I'd be on the carling or strongbow depending on mood. Food pairing was not relevant as we did our drinking on empty stomaches for efficiency. I take a sip of the Jack Rabbit expecting the worst. I don't think I could finish a carling or a strongbow these days except in direst circumstances and I expect the same of this wine. It's...not awful. Plain, flat, no offence. Slightly smokey aftertaste. This is 99p (£1.36 inflation-adjusted) wine I could drink in a pinch. 6.5 marks out of 10....wait, hmm the second sip wasn't quite so good unweighted by negative expectation. The third sip tickles my tummy. I hate being tickled. The fourth....I heave a little. 6.5 marks out of 100. The whole group of people in front of me executes an Olympics-worthy synchronised smoke break. Eight blokes rise simutaneously on a imperceptible signal and depart the multiple small tables they are arranged around leaving only the coasters and the faint whiff of the previous break. I have the unusual thought that I'd like a cigarette. They feel like the ideal accoutrement to a pub like this, well a town like this really. I momentarily yearn to join their endless cycle of drink and smoke, drink and smoke (though both of those pleasures ensure that it is anything but endless). What else can a person do in Bridgwater? Or any place with off-shored hope? The rain beats down still and 'Up where we belong' booms down from the speaker a metre or so above my head. I have to to go before I lose myself in this unquiet corner of a noisy bar in a most curious nook of my life.
2/5

Comments

Popular posts

The Duke

Pub review They say: "We came for a skittle on a Saturday night and they were very welcoming but you know how you hear about lizards ruling the world, the barstaff had a very lizardy look. Make your own mind up!" --Craig Savage 4/5 I say: 'The place where everybody knows your name' The claim is painted onto the wall and doesn't seem so outlandish on this chilly Tuesday night as there is no-one in the pub to know my name or not. Dry January? I can't imagine that's a thing around these parts. You don't keep over 30 pubs in business with virtuous gestures like that. It might be a Tuesday thing. Per usual I try to find a quiet corner with my beer, surely an easy task in an empty pub? Not so. Speakers hang from every nook and carpet the space in a thick fog of sound. It isn't even the usual autotuned pop/R&B dirge being vomited into my ears. That stuff I can confine to a background hum. Instead it's the pre-match commentary for the Brighto

Sisyphean Airlines

Day 56 - Panama City We nearly didn't make it into this slip of a country. Cruel fortune had us standing in the queue for the only Panamanian border officer who had read and decided to adhere to the rules. "Return ticket?" bugger.  His steely, uncompassionate gaze was unmoved by our desperate explanations of our travel 'plans'. Bribery also failed to move him to endorse our entry so our bus driver, with infinite generosity, offered to relieve us of another $36 to write up a return ticket to San José that we would never use. This finally satisfied the entry requirements and the stamp thumped down. The country is divided by a synonymous strip of water down which floats a not insignificant quantity of the world's goods. Though our initial plan was to dive the canal, renovations kiboshed that idea and we had to settle for the traditional topside view.  On initial viewing the city itself seems built on the wealth its transoceanic connection brings.  Buildings soa

Angkor Whaaaaat?

Day 5 - Siem Reap With the water festival finished we has one more place to visit in Cambodia. Angkor Wat is an indisputable wonder of the world and the largest religious monument ever constructed. It sits within a temple complex covering 400km², the scale of which is impossible to adequately describe. Its towers seem to rise organically from the ground, the stone flowering from the earth into wonderfully symmetric form. Only modern capitalism and totalitarian hubris seem to inspire similar architectural endeavour as the gods did in the past. I don't necessarily agree with any of those ideologies and their human cost but religion's diminished power permits me a less coloured appreciation of its monuments. In the stone of Angkor Wat you see reflected the same desire for, and defiant belief in, permanence that runs through our species. I see it in the chiselled signage above the entrance to long dead banks and businesses in the City of London. The owners thought the gilded lobb