Skip to main content

Low winter sun

Day 201 - Sydney

A solitude wraps me as I walk, the ferries blow their funereal horns as if through some foggy dock on the eve of war. I turn up the collar on my favourite (only) winter coat and press on over the swing bridge and past destroyer, submarine and magnificent 3-masted sail ship. Wooden boards give a resonant thud as my smart-shod feet strike them and ibis stalk the grassy swath to my left. The sun traces its shallow arc in the sky as I arrive at the office and day two hundred and one stirs to life. The transience had paused and routine replaced it. Faces and places became familiar and relationships lasted past a day or two of crossed paths. Heck, such was the order of my life I had even taken to eating muesli for breakfast (with soy milk, natch). My job was going well, I worked with Kim and Lorraine auditing the company's Australian contractors and daily impressed my colleagues with technical wizardry and savoir faire. On the home front myself and Michael had moved into a hostel for the general well-being of all involved in our previous accommodation and we passed the evenings eating kangaroo and watching the dirge that Australian terrestrial TV stations deem suitable for broadcast. CBH continued to lubricate our social interactions and despite numerous ejections never held a grudge. The weather was improving such that a dip in the sea became a pleasurable pastime rather than a masochistic trial. In short life was pretty good. I have, in the past, wondered at the draw of Australia. Having seen several friends visit never to return to the motherland I was curious to understand the country's enrapturing power. It didn't take long before I was experiencing such emotions of my own, I felt the pull. My imagination was swiftly crafting a life here, so far from everything I had known for the last 30 years. And that, I think, is what it was for me. 30 years living in the same country, the same continent, the same hemisphere suddenly seemed like a long time, too long. Here was a brave new world abundant with possibilities that maybe I wouldn't have seen ensconced in my English groove, ever ploughing in the same direction. I felt like I had straightened my shuffling hunch, had lifted my eyes from the road. I found I liked Australia not for what it was but for what it wasn't. My mind raced ahead - I could extend my visa for a further year provided I undertook 3 months of 'specified' work. What this amounts to is going to Australia's more rural regions and doing jobs the natives don't want to do, I would have to work on my Polish accent. The black fly in the chardonnay was the fact that second visas are only granted to people under the age of 31. Some quick calculations gave the following result -

Months of regional work required = 3
Months until I turned 31 = 3¼

Time was, to put it mildly, tight. This would be a high stakes gamble as I would need to leave my job at Accenture, book a flight to the boondocks and pray I could pick up work immediately. More than a week spent without specified employment and there would be no second visa for me not to mention the cost of the plane tickets to bear. My attempts to secure a job before I left Sydney were coming to naught so on the advice of a drunken man in a pub I would soon be travelling to the other side of this vast country and the vineyards of Margaret River. Wish me luck...

Comments

Popular posts

The Duke

Pub review They say: "We came for a skittle on a Saturday night and they were very welcoming but you know how you hear about lizards ruling the world, the barstaff had a very lizardy look. Make your own mind up!" --Craig Savage 4/5 I say: 'The place where everybody knows your name' The claim is painted onto the wall and doesn't seem so outlandish on this chilly Tuesday night as there is no-one in the pub to know my name or not. Dry January? I can't imagine that's a thing around these parts. You don't keep over 30 pubs in business with virtuous gestures like that. It might be a Tuesday thing. Per usual I try to find a quiet corner with my beer, surely an easy task in an empty pub? Not so. Speakers hang from every nook and carpet the space in a thick fog of sound. It isn't even the usual autotuned pop/R&B dirge being vomited into my ears. That stuff I can confine to a background hum. Instead it's the pre-match commentary for the Brighto

Sisyphean Airlines

Day 56 - Panama City We nearly didn't make it into this slip of a country. Cruel fortune had us standing in the queue for the only Panamanian border officer who had read and decided to adhere to the rules. "Return ticket?" bugger.  His steely, uncompassionate gaze was unmoved by our desperate explanations of our travel 'plans'. Bribery also failed to move him to endorse our entry so our bus driver, with infinite generosity, offered to relieve us of another $36 to write up a return ticket to San José that we would never use. This finally satisfied the entry requirements and the stamp thumped down. The country is divided by a synonymous strip of water down which floats a not insignificant quantity of the world's goods. Though our initial plan was to dive the canal, renovations kiboshed that idea and we had to settle for the traditional topside view.  On initial viewing the city itself seems built on the wealth its transoceanic connection brings.  Buildings soa

Angkor Whaaaaat?

Day 5 - Siem Reap With the water festival finished we has one more place to visit in Cambodia. Angkor Wat is an indisputable wonder of the world and the largest religious monument ever constructed. It sits within a temple complex covering 400km², the scale of which is impossible to adequately describe. Its towers seem to rise organically from the ground, the stone flowering from the earth into wonderfully symmetric form. Only modern capitalism and totalitarian hubris seem to inspire similar architectural endeavour as the gods did in the past. I don't necessarily agree with any of those ideologies and their human cost but religion's diminished power permits me a less coloured appreciation of its monuments. In the stone of Angkor Wat you see reflected the same desire for, and defiant belief in, permanence that runs through our species. I see it in the chiselled signage above the entrance to long dead banks and businesses in the City of London. The owners thought the gilded lobb