Skip to main content

River of golden dreams

Day 237 - Margaret River

The train cut through an orange land so sparse that not even clouds bloomed in its yawning blue sky. It passed stations so small that the platforms could hold 3 or 4 people at most. I saw dwellings here and there, each a battle against nature won though the ongoing war still inevitably lost. From the eastern hubbub to this western desolation I wondered, as I would many times over the coming months, how on earth I ended up here. I carried a knot in my stomach, whether from fear or food deprivation I couldn't be sure. This was new, this was different. Barring a few days in Brazil I had never so boldly struck out on my own. Leaving behind a pleasant Sydney existence, friends, a well paid job, the comfort of familiarity, to start again on the other side, to create a life over again. Yeah it was probably fear. I changed from train to bus at the end of the line and the landscape softened as we continued south. Wetter and greener, life returned in the form of new and exotic birds and the yin-yang of friesian cows. But I was not here for the fauna, rather it was the region's flora that had pulled me 2500 miles across the continent. The first vineyards I spotted were at a place called Wilybrup, the vines as bare of foliage as the rows were of workers, not a great sign of impending employment. The bus deposited me, appropriately enough, at a bus stop in the centre of Margaret River. I was struck by a wave of uncertainty over what I would do next. Were would I live? Were would I work? Who would I drink with down the pub? Nobody could answer these questions but me, I was going to have to take full responsibility for my own life for once. I gathered my luggage, I gathered myself and set off for a hostel whose name I had noted down in a sole concession to planning. The Margaret River Lodge YHA would be my home for the next 3 months but as I strode down its driveway I could have no idea of the bacchanalian chaos that lay ahead. All was quiet for now though so I dropped my pack on my bunk and decided to swing by the various agencies in the town that organised vineyard work. "Have you got any experience?", "No". "Have you got a car?", "No". The look that resulted from my regrettably honest answers to these two standard questions did not fill me with confidence with regard to my employability and, by extension, my second year visa. But the agencies took my name and number and sent me on my way damned with faint encouragement. After covering them all I retired to the pub in the knowledge I could do little more to secure appropriate work. As if to amplify my home-from-homesickness the song 'Mr. Brightside' played as I drank my extortionate pint. Were people looking at me as I mouthed the words? Was the lump in my throat as visibly big as it felt? It wasn't the first TBS (take me back to Sydney) moment I would have here, it wasn't the last.

Comments

Popular posts

The Duke

Pub review They say: "We came for a skittle on a Saturday night and they were very welcoming but you know how you hear about lizards ruling the world, the barstaff had a very lizardy look. Make your own mind up!" --Craig Savage 4/5 I say: 'The place where everybody knows your name' The claim is painted onto the wall and doesn't seem so outlandish on this chilly Tuesday night as there is no-one in the pub to know my name or not. Dry January? I can't imagine that's a thing around these parts. You don't keep over 30 pubs in business with virtuous gestures like that. It might be a Tuesday thing. Per usual I try to find a quiet corner with my beer, surely an easy task in an empty pub? Not so. Speakers hang from every nook and carpet the space in a thick fog of sound. It isn't even the usual autotuned pop/R&B dirge being vomited into my ears. That stuff I can confine to a background hum. Instead it's the pre-match commentary for the Brighto

Sisyphean Airlines

Day 56 - Panama City We nearly didn't make it into this slip of a country. Cruel fortune had us standing in the queue for the only Panamanian border officer who had read and decided to adhere to the rules. "Return ticket?" bugger.  His steely, uncompassionate gaze was unmoved by our desperate explanations of our travel 'plans'. Bribery also failed to move him to endorse our entry so our bus driver, with infinite generosity, offered to relieve us of another $36 to write up a return ticket to San José that we would never use. This finally satisfied the entry requirements and the stamp thumped down. The country is divided by a synonymous strip of water down which floats a not insignificant quantity of the world's goods. Though our initial plan was to dive the canal, renovations kiboshed that idea and we had to settle for the traditional topside view.  On initial viewing the city itself seems built on the wealth its transoceanic connection brings.  Buildings soa

Angkor Whaaaaat?

Day 5 - Siem Reap With the water festival finished we has one more place to visit in Cambodia. Angkor Wat is an indisputable wonder of the world and the largest religious monument ever constructed. It sits within a temple complex covering 400km², the scale of which is impossible to adequately describe. Its towers seem to rise organically from the ground, the stone flowering from the earth into wonderfully symmetric form. Only modern capitalism and totalitarian hubris seem to inspire similar architectural endeavour as the gods did in the past. I don't necessarily agree with any of those ideologies and their human cost but religion's diminished power permits me a less coloured appreciation of its monuments. In the stone of Angkor Wat you see reflected the same desire for, and defiant belief in, permanence that runs through our species. I see it in the chiselled signage above the entrance to long dead banks and businesses in the City of London. The owners thought the gilded lobb